One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow
100 Years Ago
July 10, 1913
* O.H. Allerton died July 5 at his home on South Main St. at the age of 97. He was a former Newark store keeper who made his fortune in the Pittsburg stock yards, returning to Newark to retire. He built his mansion on the corner of South Main St. and High St. in 1880.
* Chestnut St., part of the Colton tract, was accepted by the Newark Village Board from the Margaret Colton estate.
* F.E. Thompson of the Canastota Couch Co. reported that the new furniture plant on Hoffman St. would be up and running on Sept. 1.
* Four Rochester men lost their lives on Lake Ontario when their 30 foot sailboat was caught in a gale. The craft, the Kayoska had been purchased from Capt. Wickham of Sodus Point.
75 Years Ago
July 14, 1938
* The Rev. Francis Wade, 89, Wayne County's only surviving Civil War veteran, was pictured on a trip to Gettysburg, Pa., accompanied by Dr. Dwight Johnson.
* Local garage owner Vernon M. Gridley set out to demonstrate Goodyear's new" tube in a tube" tire, able to survive blowouts at 60 mph.
* Announcement of a week's vacation with pay to all Bloomer Bros. employees was made by George Richmond, company President.
* The new $83,000 Newark Post Office wing and addition was progressing ahead of schedule.
50 Years Ago
July 11, 1963
* Grand Opening - Fanny Farmer candy department - Rochester's own Fanny Farmer chocolates available at Wildhack's Rexall Drug Store, corner Main & Union.
* Three Newark teens were injured in a car crash on West Avenue on the way home from picking up their report cards.
* Shown tending to the Little League scoreboard on Hoffman St. were Rick Rommel, John Berry, and Gerry Storms.
* The Newark American Legion Post 286 voted to acquire the former Granite Theater on East Union St., and sell the Mason St. property.
25 Years Ago
July 8, 1988
* The Newark Garden Club presented their annual Tulip Awards for beautification efforts to Gilbert Jewelers, Advantage Auto, McDonald's, Columbia Bank, and Burger King.
* The Newark Chamber of Commerce went on record supporting the NYS D.O.T. plan to leave the old North Main railroad bridge available for traffic until the new bridge was built.
* The last of the former Jackson & Perkins greenhouses and smokestack were demolished by a wrecking crew off Madison St. Property owner Anthony DeJohn planned to build condos once the village fixed the sewer situation.
* Dr. Fred Hicks was installed as the new Newark Rotary Club President, succeeding Bruce Peer.