One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
July 24, 1913
* Newark's majestic maple trees were being ravaged by a boring insect.
* Ad - White Pine & Tar - For Coughs and Colds - 25 Cents a Bottle - Kelley's Drug Store.
* Mr. Halligan (sic.) of the Canastota Couch Co. had rented the Eggleston house at 33 East Avenue. Avenue.
* A complaint was lodged concerning the barn at the Allerton farm being used as lodging for Italians.
* It was announced that the F.W. Woolworth Co. would open a 5 & 10 cent store in Newark. Local shops were protesting that the cut rate store would put them out of business.
* For Sale - Two horses, one REO motor car, one cutter, two bob sleds, one delivery wagon - E.W. Doane.
75 Years Ago
July 28, 1938
* A spectacular fire razed the Cottage Hotel in Sodus Point.
* History repeated itself as Newark experienced a housing boom. Home building was on the rise again after the depression.
* At Sodus Bay, the Robin fleet battled with the Owasco Skippers, winning 83-22.
* Playing at the air-conditioned Capitol Theater, was "Tropic Holiday", starring Bob Burns and Martha Raye.
50 Years Ago
July 25, 1963
* The Newark Jay Cees were preparing for a membership drive according to Lyle Burnham, President, and the Newark Grange held their annual picnic in Perkins Park.
* Ad - Look at What 39 Cents Will Buy - Hamburg, Smoked Hams, Chicken, Chuck Steak, Franks, Spare Ribs - all 39 Cents a Pound - Loblaws Super Market, 125 West Miller St., No Tipping - Carryout Service is Free.
* Cheryl Adamy, Newark's AFS student, wrote home from Istanbul Turkey.
* Ad - Fiat 1100D - 4 Door Sedan - $1,616 Delivered - Scofield & Son, 226 East Union St.
25 Years Ago
July 29 , 1988
* Seneca Foods on Hoffman Street, responded to neighbors concerns about noise and odor coming from the plant.
* At Newark Country Club, Dick DePauw and Bob DeJohn shot 123 in best ball play for 36 holes to win the Rose City Classic.
* Local residents were excited about the possibility of a Ponderosa Restaurant locating in Newark.
* In Palmyra, a single engine Cessna plane crashed after takeoff killing one and injuring another.