One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
August 7, 1913
* A state contract for the new Edgett St. bridge over the canal was being put out for bid. Costs were being gathered for a similar bridge in East Newark, exact location unknown.
* The Empire Gas Co. was installing a new gas storage tank, with a capacity of 100,000 cubic feet of coal gas.
* C.H. Perkins II, nephew of Charles H. Perkins sailed for England on the White Star "Olympia" where he would be conducting business in Europe in the interests of the Jackson & Perkins Co.
* A motorist on East Union St. was arrested for traveling through the village with an open muffler.
75 Years Ago
August 11, 1938
* Newark Civic groups urged the board of education to consider alternate sites for a new high school before committing to a location at the end of East Avenue. T. Spencer Knight of412 East Avenue, representative of a citizens committee, presented a possible site on West Miller St.- The site, located on high ground, contained homes belonging to George Price, Duane Brown, and William Dobson.
* Pictured were youngsters from all over Newark enjoying a hot afternoon in the wading pool at Perkins Park.
* The DeMay clan held their 22nd annual reunion at Powder Mill Park in Monroe County.
50 Years Ago
August 8, 1963
* At an organizational meeting, of the Jackson & Perkins Co., Ralph Perkins, who has been with the firm since 1919, was named President to succeed the late Charles H. Perkins.
* Ad - Headquarters for Citizen's Band Radios- Wayco Appliance & TV - 154 West Union St.
* In Marion, shown planning for their annual Rotary Club Gas Sale at Bucky's Service Station, were Andy Erb, Bob Purchase, and Bucky DeReu.
* At Newark Country Club, Jim Wegman of Rochester and Jim Milonas of Newark teamed up to win the 13th annual Silver Hat tournament.
25 Years Ago
August 12, 1988
* The 50 year old wading pool at Perkins Park was closed due to state regulations.
* The Newark Lions Club presented a $1300 check to the Newark Arcadia Volunteer Ambulance to be used to update equipment.
* The seventh tee at Newark Country Club was sporting a new flower garden and bench given by the ladies golf committee in honor of Min Lunay.
* Six Webelos from Cub Scout Pack 122 were awarded the "Arrow of Light", Cub Scout's highest honor. Receiving awards were Ryan Stoops, Terry Hasseler, Chad Parmiter, Chris Van Dongen, Gunnar Klock, and Quint Tatro.