|
|
|
Wayne Post
  • Mobile home fire displaces family

    • email print
      Comment
  • NEWARK — A family of four was displaced after a fire destroyed their mobile home last week, fire officials said.
    Firefighters were called to 29 Park Ave. last Wednesday, Sept. 18 for a fully involved house fire, Newark Fire Department Public Information Officer Dick Colacino said. Upon arrival, fire was coming out the front door of the home, he said.
    “This fire had been burning for a while,” Second Assistant Fire Chief Rusty Havert said.
    Firefighters contained and knocked down the fire quickly, Havert said. First responders were quick to vent the fire, Havert said, which was a huge advantage in fighting the blaze. Havert said mobile homes tend to burn very hot, and venting helps let the heat out as well as the smoke.
    A woman was home at the time of the fire, Havert said, but was able to get out of the house safely. The woman, whose names was not available, was reported to be having a seizure that may have started when she was still inside the home, Havert said. She was taken by Newark Arcadia Volunteer Ambulance to Newark-Wayne Community Hospital for treatment.
    Havert said the fire gutted the living room of the home and heavy smoke caused damage throughout.
    “There’s no saving the home,” Havert said. “It’s a total loss.”
    An initial investigation led fire investigators to an outlet near the couch in the living room where the fire appears to have started, Havert said, although he can’t say for sure the exact cause at this time.
    The American Red Cross was called to provide emergency assistance to the family.

        calendar