NEWARK — Nine Newark High School Fall teams have qualified for scholar athlete team status.
The recognition is given by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association to athletic teams that collectively achieve averages of 90 or better.
"We are extremely proud of all our Scholar Athlete award winners, especially our teams that received New York State Scholar Athlete recognition,” said Athletic Director Nicholas Amatulli.
The teams that were recognized, their coaches and their averages follow:
• Boys Junior Varsity Soccer, coached by Sandy Bueso, with a grade point average of 93.072. Team members include: Tyler Allen, Miles Anglin, Forrest Blondell, Thomas Jensen, Zachary Kuhn, Jerry Lay, Jacob Lindberg, Ian Mac Taggart, Matthew Roelands, Brian Sharp, Zachary VanKoevering and Ryan Velte.
• Boys Varsity Soccer, coached by Scott DeRue with a grade point average of 92.100. Team members include: Tyler Collins, Jack Diamond, Paul Dingman, Ethan Erway, Matthew Fedczuk, Michael Fedczuk, Will Gibson, Nicholas Greco, Jovany Jiminez, Colin Murphy, Daniel Staples and Joshua Wilck.
• Girls Junior Varsity Soccer, coached by Tim Tanea with a grade point average of 91.749. Team members include: Jillian Blodgett, Alexa Cornwell, Makalah Crawford, Rosemarie DeRenzo, Amanda Hutteman, Kaitlyn Lockwood, Rachel Michaels, Gabrielle Olschewske, Julianna Otero, Camryn Pettit, Aryona Valastro and Sydni Verbridge.
• Girls Varsity Soccer coached by Jason Dentel with a grade point average of 95.037. Team members include: Ashley Appell, Grace Blondell, Nicole Collins, Sarah Howell, Elizabeth Kline, Amanda Knapp, Kenna Lauer, Mia Palone, Sydney Salone, Carly Shear, Katherine Thoms and Brittany Williams.
•Girls Junior Varsity Volleyball, coached by Craig Sutherland with a grade point average of 93.551. Team members include: Kathleen Caban Ortiz, Samantha Cepulo, Evelyn Childs, Tiffany Gilligan, Shaniah Jones, Noelle Lyman, Emily Reinhardt and Ladonia Smith.
• Girls Varsity Volleyball, coached by Matthew May with a grade point average of 93.25. Team members include: Julia Bailey, Dana Eaton, Carly Henkel, Emily Lo Tempio, Cortney McEvoy, Mariah Spacher, Jenna Taylor and Haley Vastbinder.
• Boys Varisty Golf, coached by Eric Palumbo with a grade point average of 92.257. Team members include: Ryan Blair, William Blair, Stuart Blodgett, Cameron Casselman, Jamal Miller, McKenzie Serens and Ian Tulloch.
• Girls Varsity Swimming, coached by Tedd VanDuyen with a grade point average of 92.801. Team members include: Haily Atkins, Destiny Baker, Alissa Frazer, Emily Hauf, Alexandra House, Emily Johnson, Morgan Johnson, Jenelle Keller, Megan Kreuser, Sarah Sharp and Jennifer Shields.
• Boys Varsity Cross Country coached by Joseph Contario with a grade point average of 92.225. Team members include: Jonathan Coleman, Benjamin Cowles, Brandon Custer, Zechariah Nower, Jarrod Roelands, Dillon Vandemortel and Bryan VanHall.