The last days of the Palmyra Sesquicentennial was celebrated June 6, 1964, with a large parade, floats, fanfare and lots of period clothing. The 1860-80s’ dresses dotted the sidewalks while the men grew beards and mustaches.
On June 7, 1898, the first volunteer company for the Spanish American War was formed. This war was led by Rear Adm. William T. Sampson in Cuba’s Santiago Bay. A cannon off the Spanish ship was delivered May 30, 1903, to Palmyra to honor “The Admiral” Wm. T. Sampson, who had passed away the year before. This cannon is on permanent loan from the U. S. Naval Training Center.
A freight train wreck happened at Galloway’s Bridge on May 9, 1888. This was just one of many that would happen in Palmyra’s history. Finally, sidewalks were laid out and put down on the north side of Vienna Street in 1894.
On June 13, 1820, the road from Palmyra to Pultneyville was surveyed. This would become a toll road, which was one of two.
On June 17, 1761, our founder, John Swift, was born. He would later fight in the Revolutionary War, Penninite War and War of 1812. Swift purchased Township 12, District 2 and 3 in 1789 from Phelps and Gorham, creating the Palmyra-Macedon area.
On June 23, 1906, the Rochester, Syracuse and E. Trolley Road opened. The trolley would only last until 1934, and all signs of it would be removed in 2000.
For information, call 315-597-6981.