"This is tragic. It's the only thing you can say," says City Manager John Goodwin
CANANDAIGUA — Fire crews from throughout the region battled a fire that broke out this morning at the popular downtown restaurant Nolan's on Canandaigua Lake, leaving the eatery destroyed with a collapsed roof and smoldering timbers.
"This is tragic. It's the only thing you can say," City Manager John Goodwin said of the fire that consumed the restaurant located at 726 S. Main St.
A passer-by called 911 at 5:25 am after seeing smoke, Canandaigua Police Chief Stephen Hedworth said. When police arrived, they saw smoke filling the inside of the restaurant, he said.
"We're still trying to verify what's going on," he said when asked if anyone had been inside the restaurant at the time of the fire.
No injuries were reported by police, though acting Canandaigua Fire Chief Ben Cramer said some firefighters were treated at the scene for minor heat-related issues.
Hedworth said Main Street and affected intersections will be closed for much of the day as crews continue to battle the blaze. He urged motorists to avoid the area.
At 8:30 a.m., Cramer said the fire would not be under control for another couple of hours.
Flames were still visible hours after the fire first was reported, with heavy smoke billowing through the area, affecting the morning commute.
In addition to fire crews from Canandaigua, crews from Crystal Beach, Victor, Pumpkin Hill, Cheshire, Geneva, Farmington and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center responded to the fire, with others en route.
Residents and visitors who flocked to the scene reacted with a sense of shock and heartbreak.
"It's sad. This was one of the nicer places to eat in Canandaigua," said longtime customer Jeanne Shalabba of Canandaigua.
Another former customer, Veronica Geremia, responded similarly, calling the scene "sad."
"It's an awesome place," she said. "Finally, a nice place — great people, great food, great location, reasonable prices. It was awesome. I cant believe it."
This is a developing story. For continuing updates on this story, be sure to visit MPNnow.com.
Watch video from our senior photographer, Jack Haley, two hours into the fire at Nolan's restaurant in Canandaigua: pic.twitter.com/kOKypyW1OS