As many as 90 firefighters responded to the village of Clyde for a laundromat fire on Columbia Street. The chief says the fire started in the roof. Some say the building on Columbia Street dates back to the early 1900s which presented a problem for firefighters. The roof collapsed while they were inside and the floor caved in. Fortunately, there are no reports of any injuries.

A massive fire broke out Wednesday evening at a business in Wayne County.

Our news partner, News10NBC said as many as 90 firefighters responded to the Village of Clyde for the blaze that started in a laundromat on Columbia Street.

"When we got here, that all we seen was smoke coming out of the roof," says Pam Pierce, owner.

Pam Pierce couldn’t believe her eyes as she watched her laundromat go up in smoke. Firefighters from three counties battled this fire. It was spotted around 6 p.m. Wednesday evening.

The chief says the fire started in the roof. Some say the building on Columbia Street dates back to the early 1900s. That presented a problem for firefighters. The roof collapsed while they were inside and the floor caved in.

Fortunately no one was hurt. The chief says a fire chief from a neighboring fire department was among a handful of people doing laundry. He called it in.

It is a devastating loss to the community. "A lot of years; a lot of memories for the whole community. This laundromat has been here for a long time."

Clyde Fire Chief Joe Tavano Jr. says, "These types of fires in commercial buildings with basements are really difficult because we have the risk of roof collapse and floor collapse. It was just difficult to achieve what we wanted so we had pull out and go defensive."