Macedon Historical Society recently framed and mounted a signature quilt from the 19th century with the help of the Wayne County Antique Dealers Association, Eagle Scout Joshua Herrmann and consultant Sue Slater.
The quilt was donated to MHS by Catherine Maloney MacGuire, of Macedon. Herrmann, of Boy Scout Troop 96 in Palmyra, designed, mounted and installed the quilt after receiving a grant from WCADA. This project completed Hermann’s requirements as an Eagle Scout.
Memory, remembrance and/or signature quilts were made in mid-1800s to remember those who left the area, died or a circle of friends when one moved away. MHS does not know how the names on the quilt are linked, as they come from Henrietta, Michigan, Pittsford, Scipio and West Dryden.
The names were written with the same hand. Some signature quilts were made from scraps of cloth signed by individuals, with their shirt or dress material given to the quilt creator. That does not seem to be the case here. Sometimes, signature quilts were used as fundraisers where someone would pay to have their name on the quilt, and then the quilt would be put up for a raffle. Frequently, the winner would donate the quilt back to the organization to raffle again.
Catherine Maloney MacGuire, a Macedon native, was born in August 1895 as the sixth child of John and Elizabeth Howe Maloney. Her father was born in Canada, her mother in New York state. Her husband, Francis McGuire, was the fifth child of Patrick and Ellen Hickey McGuire. For 47 years, he owned and operated Mickey’s in Palmyra. He died in 1971; she died in 1991. Both are buried in St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Cemetery in Palmyra.
The quilt is on display at Macedon Academy, 1185 Macedon Center Road. Open houses are from 2 to 4 p.m. on the last Sundays of the month in July-October. Email historian@macedontown.net or visit macedonhistoricalsociety.org for information.