The Newark-Arcadia Historical Society will offer its biannual barn tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 6 at barns located within minutes of the Marbletown Schoolhouse in Newark.
The self-guided tour is comprised of five sites: Peters Barn, 101 S. Marbletown Road; Benedict Barn on Miller Road; Brennessel Barn, 265 Finewood Road; Dennis-Lockhart Barn, 259 state Route 88; and Reynolds Barn, 102 state Route 88.
Lee and Sharon Peters purchased the Peters Barn in 1985 from Mary Faas. It was built in the 1860s.
The Benedict Barn operated as a dairy farm in 1957-88 by partners Dan and Edith Benedict and Kenneth and Gertrude Miller.
Originally owned by the Gifford family, the Brennessel Barn was purchased by Elon and Olive Finewood in 1942. It now is owned by their grandson, David Brennessel. The barn has the capacity to hold 10,000 bales of hay.
George Dennis became the owner of what was known as the King farm in 1930 after he worked for the trolley in Newark. He called it Alta Crest Farm. At this time, Dennis built a drive-thru barn that measured 36-by-80 feet. It is believed to be a James Way kit barn. Dennis also built a cattle shed, two silos and a new house for the farm manager. The Dennis family lived in the brick house to the north of the barn. The Lockhart family now owns the Dennis-Lockhart Barn.
Not much is known about the history of the two structures at Reynolds Barn. The owner said the rear barn was moved at one time, so it now adjoins the bigger barn. Both underwent restoration. The 1904 Wayne County Atlas indicates the farm was owned by Jacob and Sarah Smith.
Gary and Karen Jones will provide a hay carrier demonstration at the Dennis-Lockhart Barn, where Rose City Quilters will set up a display. Refreshments will be served.
Tickets cost $10, and are available in Newark at Newark-Arcadia Historical Society, 120 High St.; Wegmans on West Miller Street; and Newark Public Library, 121 High St.