One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
June 12, 1913
* Petitions were received by the Newark Village Board asking for the installation of cement sidewalks in various parts of the village.
* A railroad torpedo found by children in a barn on Murray Street exploded seriously injuring four youngsters, ages 4-10.
* In Fairville, fresh dairy butter was available at the Ida Herman residence for 23 cents a pound.
* Mr. and Mrs. S.S. Peirson were spending time at their cottage on Lake Bluff.
* The Newark Granite Works, owned by M.J. Flynn had just finished work on a 23 ton31 foot high monument for the Wm. Genthner family in the Willow Avenue cemetery.
75 Years Ago
June 16, 1938
* The Jackson & Perkins Rose Garden on Madison Street opened, attended by more than 8,000 people, viewing 29,000 varieties of roses in full bloom.
* The opening of the Perkins Park summer playground season was under the direction of Coach W.B. Hatsell. Donations were sought for the VFW swimming pool project.
* Newark village properties had become a haven for deer.
*Ad - Cigars - Cigarettes - C.A. Hausman Drug Store, West Union Street.
* Coming June 18, Newark Kiddie Karnival and Pet Parade- Prizes Galore.
* Ad - Peanut Butter 12 cents a jar, Corned Beef Hash 12 cents a can, catsup 9 cents a bottle - Hart's Food Store- Home Dairy Building.
50 Years Ago
June 13, 1963
* Among the 435 graduating at Alfred Tech were Newark residents Marilyn Critelli, Larry Palone, Richard SanAngelo, and Carol Soliman.
* Ad - Loblaws Market Specials - Bread 2 for 29 cents, ice cream 49 cents a half gallon, mayonnaise 59 cents a quart.
* Winning scholarships at Newark High School were Susan Forgarty, Rick Kouwe, Mary Ellen Smith, William Shuman, Lucinda Stell, and Michael Peters.
* In Little League action, little Jimmy Witt of the Dodgers struck out 11 batters for 13-7 win over the Braves.
* Ad - Refresh At Margroves Dairy Bar - Pineapple Royal Sundae - 39 cents.
25 Years Ago
June 17, 1988
* The Fairville Fire Department held their annual antique fire apparatus muster at the carnival grounds.
* The Newark Varsity Boys Track team made history June 11 in Baldwinsville where Senior Jason Rizzo won the first Newark championship.
* Newark's Kodak Ultralife power cell was in the news with extended life.
* Lisa VanQuekelberg of Pardee Smith Road graduated Cum Laude from Villanova University.