One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
January 23, 1913
• Night burglars broke into the A.C. Bartle lumber yard, George Buffan and W.M. Filkins coal yards, and the Grippin Manufacturing Co. making off with several hundred dollars.
• J.W. Marble and wife moved into their new double house on the corner of Crosby St and East Maple Avenue.
• The Traveler's Club placed in the library a two volume edition of "The National Gallery" in memory of Mrs. Helen A.S. Bloomer.
• The First National Bank recorded deposits in 1912 up from $812,554, an increase of $99,523. A dividend of $11,500 was paid.
• Ad - Wanted: Typewriter Machine Operator - Apply the Commercial Building.
75 Years Ago
January 26, 1938
• A record crowd was expected for the 11th annual Newark Rotary High School Band concert at the Capitol Theater, under the direction of Chester T. Robb.
• The New York Central Hose Co. observed its 50th anniversary with a banquet at the Park Presbyterian Church. Toastmaster was Elmer J. Cunningham.
• Playing at the Capitol Theater - "Hollywood Hotel" starring Dick Powell and Benny Goodman.
• Ad - Make a Test Run in the New 1938 Ford V-8 "60" - Win up to 75 Gallons of Gas - Arcadia Motors - 319 West Union St.
50 Years Ago
January 24, 1963
• G.R. "Bob" Boynton, a 17 year employee of J.A. Boudiette Jewelers, purchased the business.
• When Ernie DeWandel, Manager of Scofield Diner opened the business a 5 a.m. on Monday, he encountered a burglar who left via a rear door.
• Miss Patricia Ver Heeke and Glenn Walter Arnold were married at the home of the groom's parents at Halliday's Corners.
• Retired Newark merchant J.J. Boynton passed away. he had been in the shoe business for 58 years.
25 Years Ago
January 29, 1988
• John Van Dusen, publisher of the Courier Gazette, Pennysaver, and Sodus Dollarsaver, purchased the Lyons Clyde Shopping Guide.
• Ad - Super Bowl Specials- Milwaukee's Best Beer - $1.69 a Six Pack, Martin's Milk - $1.79 a Half Gallon - Joey's Northside Grocery.
• Newark's wrestlers achieved 1st Place in the annual Wayne County Tournament featuring 10 schools and 130 participants.
• St. Michael's Church announced that they had started a $220,000 interior renovation in time for their 125th anniversary.
• The Design of Wayne County was an exhibit of the works of local artists at the Wayne County Council of the Arts, located on the fourth floor of the municipal building.