100 years of Arcadia's history compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
December 29, 1910
The Newark State Bank and First National Bank were combined with assets exceeding $1 million. The new bank would be called the First National Bank of Newark. Directors were D. Pardee Smith, Byron Thomas, Charles W. Stuart, T. Davis Prescott, and C.P.H. Vary.
The T.A. Gillespie Company was awarded a $5,500,000 contract to build the new Barge Canal through Wayne County.
The Bloomer Bros. box factory was shut down until Jan. 3 for annual inventory.
Cottagers at Sodus Point and Charles Point were experiencing several robberies. A $300 reward was offered for information leading to the arrest of the thieves.
Work on the new Grange Hall on East Miller Street progressed. It would be the finest of its type in New York state.
75 Years Ago
December 26, 1935
Irvin S. Cobb, known all over America for his articles and stories, was engaged to write for the Newark Courier.
Thieves entered the Wayne County Milling Co. on West Union Street and stole 40 cents.
Ad — New Year’s Eve at Ben Wood’s Adeline Restaurant - All Dutch Singing - All Beverages, 5 cents.
Ad — Green Tile Restaurant - North Main Street - All Night New Year’s Party - 12 Act Floor Show - Choice of Turkey, Chicken or Steak Dinners - $1.25 per person.
A 60-day option was taken on the 7-acre Himes property on the east side of Main Street for a new school taken by the Newark School District for $15,000. Some suggested using the Perkins Park site but were told it was not possible as that property was given for park purposes only.
50 Years Ago
December 29, 1960
Charles Baldwin began his 32nd year as secretary of the Newark Rotary Club.
Orville C. Greule announced the sale of his Shell Oil business to Charles McClellan.
Nancy J. Robb, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chester Robb, was awarded a Rotary Club Fellowship to study abroad in 1961.
A thermometer at the Munson residence on Summit Drive registered 0 degrees.
A $10,000 fire leveled a garage at the Charles DeSmith farm on the Old Lyons Road destroyed a jeep, two tractors, tools and a Model T Ford.
Mrs. Douglas Rook and Mrs. C.K. Bloomer were elected to the board of the Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association. Jay Short of Syracuse and Sodus Point was hired to be chief instructor for 1961.
25 Years Ago
December 26, 1985
The Newark Village Board voted to support Mayor Fred Pirelli’s proposal to grant residents tax breaks for home improvements.
The Newark Players held auditions for “L’ll Abner”, a musical comedy set for the month of March.
In Marion, Eileen Troy, 17, of Reeves Road, was chosen as Youth New York State Morgan Horse “Person of the Year.”
Ad — Grand Opening - Newark Appliance - Opposite the Newark Sheraton.
Newark school administration and citizens debated a building program, including repurchasing and renovating Roosevelt School instead of spending millions for a new building.