One hundred years of Arcadia's history as compiled by John Zornow from old Courier Gazette newspapers.
100 Years Ago
May 16, 1912
For Sale to Highest Bidder - Former residence of S.F. Sherman, including large home, caretaker cottage, and carriage house. $1,200 cash and assume $5,000 mortgage.
Married at the parochial house of St. Mark’s Church were Roscoe Warner and Miss Nellie Grieve.
Fire destroyed the machine shop of Jay Wright on North Main St. in the North Ward.
A wireless telephone had been perfected and was predicted to be the most important invention of the century.
75 Years Ago
May 19, 1937
It was revealed that the F.W. Woolworth Co. had announced the construction of a new store building on South Main St.
Ad - Penney’s Memorial Day Sale - Men’s Slacks 98 cents, Shirts 98 cents, and Polo Shirts 47 cents.
Over 400 Wayne County Boy Scouts held a spring camporee at Eagle Island on Sodus Bay, thanks to Donald Woodward of LeRoy, owner.
Ad – Visit our Rock Garden - Mts. Byron Pierson, Florist, near the Newark Airport.
50 Years Ago
May 10, 1962
Newark canner Harry Chapman started his second 50 years in business. He and the late Rhea Chittenden purchased the Perfection Mincemeat Co. in 1912 that had been started in a barn at the corner of West Ave. and West Miller St.
Newark attorney Maurice Strobridge was appointed Wayne County District Attorney by New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller.
Married at St. Michael’s Church were Miss Joyce Ann Henderson of Newark, and Mr. Anthony Buttaccio of Clyde.
A new 548 acre housing development on Sodus Bay was planned, named Shaker Heights.
25 Years Ago
May 22, 1987
Palmer Distributing Co. was featured, started in 1941 by Donald Palmer from the former Charles Danvers Candy business on East Miller St.
The Newark Zoning Board granted permission for a new Pal-Mart Store, corner Water St. and North Main St.
The United Way topped their goal, raising $702,331.
Beatrice Croucher retired after 32 years as a crossing guard in Marion.
Open in Marion - The Golden Arrow Café.