One hundred years of Arcadia's history straight from the pages of old Courier Gazette newspapers as compiled by John Zornow.
100 Years Ago
May 15, 1913
* Playing at the Newark Opera House - Charles Klein's latest play - "The Third Degree".
* Ad - The Miller Street Garage - Gasoline 20 cents a gallon, auto storage $2 a month.
* Residents of East Maple Avenue appeared before the village board asking that their street be sprinkled with oil in the summer months.
* Seven persons of the Mormon faith visited Mount Mormon in Palmyra and the residence of Pliny Sexton to view the Mormon bible.
* Excavation was completed for the new barge canal and a new powerhouse was being erected at the locks in East Newark.
75 Years Ago
* Depositors of the First National Bank, closed since October of 1931, received their sixth and final dividend of 3.77 percent. A total of 70.77 percent of all claims had been paid in the bankruptcy of the bank.
* August Millbrook took over a manager of the Pure Oil Service Station, corner of South Main St. and Church St.
* Pictured was Wayne County's only surviving Civil War veteran, the Rev. Francis E. Wade of Newark.
* Ad - Hyan Dry Ginger Ale - 10 cents a bottle, Soda Crackers 2 lbs. for 16 cents, Octagon Soap 5 bars for 22 cents. Market Basket Store, South Main St. Newark.
* Ad - The New Hudson 112 Deluxe Brougham - $704 - Wesley C. Menzner Garage, Newark.
* From the pages of the Newark Pennysaver - 1938 - Central Hotel - T-Bone Steaks , Spaghetti & Meatballs- Joe Martin, Prop.
50 Years Ago
May 16, 1963
* At Newark High School, the Boy's Trio of Tim Darrow, Bill French, and Don Heise were featured at the annual spring concert.
* Ad - Butter Brickle Ice Cream - 89 cents a half gallon - Margroves Dairy Bar, East Union St.
* Dr. C.H.J. Reason of London, Ontario, Canada, joined the staff of the Newark Medical Center.
* Newark High School Senior Steven Monje was featured in the weekly Senior Salute. His interests included sailing, skiing, and Dixieland music.
25 Years Ago
May 20, 1988
* Camile DeFelice, 604 Mason St. celebrated 41 years as a hairdresser/barber in Newark.
* Newark Ducks Unlimited held their annual banquet, raising $10,000 for the Ducks Unlimited National.
* Opening Soon - Chase Pitkin Home Center - Coming Soon - Ponderosa Restaurant.
* Marine Midland Bank N.A. announced the promotion of Phyllis Adriaanson to Administrative Service Officer at the Palmyra branch.