Correspondent John Zornow shares 100 years of Arcadia's history in his weekly column.
100 Years Ago
March 23, 1911
In village elections, the entire democratic slate, headed by George A. Burnham candidate for village president, was elected.
Ad — BPS Paint - Best Paint Sold - Find it at the Union Street Hardware.
The First National Bank passed the $1 million mark in resources.
Miss Mabel West accepted a position as a kindergarten teacher in Lynnbrook, Long Island.
Help Wanted: Attendants at the New York State Custodial Asylum - $16 a month with room, board and laundry.
Mr. and Mrs. F.G. Bailey repurchased eight lots on East Avenue sold three years ago to auto manufacturer S.H. Mora.
Ad — We will pay you $750 and carfare if you come to our factory and buy a new Mora - Mora Auto Works, Frank Toomey & Co.
75 Years Ago
March 19, 1936
The Newark Village Board gave the August Mauer Post American Legion permission to hold a carnival in June.
Newark furniture dealers held an exhibit in the former First National Bank building showing off the latest in refrigeration.
Sol Kaplan, who purchased the stock of the Elliott Clothing store, had leased the first floor for sale of men’s furnishings.
Tommy Gravino, 22, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dominic Gravino of VanBuren Street, left for spring training with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Ad — Stewart Warner Refrigerators - John J. Martin Store 416 North Main Street, corner Stuart Avenue.
The Market Basket Store on Vienna Street opened a new bakery department, offering sliced bread at 9 cents a loaf.
50 Years Ago
March 23, 1961
Dr. Milton H. Elzufon, supervisor of the town of Arcadia, was elected Newark Mayor, making him the first person to hold both offices.
Ken Larson, Chuck Zilinski, Mario Morganti, and John Murphy of Z & L Auto Sales, 319 W. Union St., were honored at a banquet in Buffalo for sales achievements.
The Newark Rotary Club served their annual pancakes and sausage at the Newark Grange Hall. Tickets were $1.
At the Newark High School, officers of the Choral Club were Gary Guthrie, president, Rob Chaffee, secretary/treasurer, and Gary Viterise, vice president.
Ad — Two tires, two tubes - Size 670x15 - $22.22 - Montgomery Ward & Co. South Main Street.
25 Years Ago
March 27, 1986
A new business, Miceli’s Deli, opened at the Pro-May Mall at 510 W. Union St.
James VanSchaffel joined Pro-May Realty as sales manager.
Both the County House Road and Port Gibson Road bridges opened after Rebuild New York projects.
Bells Supermarket became a corporate sponsor of the Newark Memorial Playground.
The Newark Reds Basketball Banquet at the Arcadia Reformed Church saw attendance of over 200, with Ron Ceravolo as master of ceremonies.