Wayne Post
Who is this 'Iron Belle'?
Bills abandon run vs. Texans — Week 9 report card
email print
About this blog
By Kerry M. Davis
X
Chronicles of an Iron Belle
Hey there, my name is Kerry (that’s me in the picture up there) glad you are here. I have been a health nut for a while but never truly realized my passion for it until a few years ago. I have been a massage therapist for over ten years and known for my ability to ‘torture’ people. The CIA wasn’t hiring so I pursued an Infant Massage Therapy certification in an attempt to figure out when things start going awry as we develop and stopping them before they cause trouble when we are adults. Person after person would come to me seeking relief from their pain and all I could do was iron it out with a massage, the rest of the work was up to them and I soon found that not too many go to the gym and know what to do or have a personal trainer who gives them a good program. A major contributor to this issue is the lack of communication from the client to the professional out of ignorance of their own body all because we are so busy with the other demands of life to even listen to what our body is telling us. This blog will give you that understanding.

All that background stuff brought me to today: a certified personal trainer who LOVES kettlebell training (my fave move is the Turkish Get Up), loves running, and loves acting like a kid (I have three!). I hope you enjoy the journey with me as we tackle understanding our bodies and how to get the most of your time at the gym, beat injury, figure out what muscles are doing what, and have a few laughs along the way. Understand that I am a massage therapist and personal trainer, not a medical doctor so the advice I share here is strictly that: advice. To see the kind of work I do (with my hunk of a hubby) click here.

Please drop me a line though, I would love to hear all about you!

Take care,

Kerry M. Davis LMT, CIMT, CPT
Recent Posts
May 27, 2015 12:20 p.m.
May 27, 2015 6:11 a.m.
May 27, 2015 12:20 a.m.
May 26, 2015 6:25 p.m.
May 26, 2015 6:20 p.m.
Bills Texans Football_Init.jpg
The Associated Press
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster (23) rushes for a gain as Buffalo Bills middle linebacker Kelvin Sheppard (55) and Nigel Bradham (53) defend in the third quarter of an NFL football game on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012, in Houston. The Texans defeated the Bills 21-9. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
By Dan Goldman, sports writer
Nov. 5, 2012 12:01 a.m.

I apologize for being a day late here. I covered the Section 5 Class A football championship during the Bills game so I had to watch on my DVR today.
The Buffalo defense seemed to make adjustments over the bye week and played decently against a strong Houston team. The problem this week was the offense. The Bills only gave C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson 12 total carries and the offense failed to get touchdowns on three trips inside the red zone. Houston won the game 21-9.
The decision to abandon the run game is the big issue for me. Buffalo coach Chan Gailey said the team decided not to run the ball as much because Houston used its base 3-4 defense when  his team went with three wide receivers. Why was it surprising that the Texans wanted to take away Jackson and Spiller? They're the strength of Buffalo's offense. Why didn't the Bills adjust and run the ball with a fullback or a second tight end. Opposing coaches have caught up with Chan Gailey's spread attack.
Quarterbacks: Ryan Fitzpatrick started the game out strong and hit 11-straight passes in the first half before T.J. Graham dropped one. He was under pressure, but was able to make short throws consistently. He only threw deep twice and one was nearly picked off. Fitzpatrick finished 25 of 38 for 239 yards with no touchdowns, no interceptions and a fumble on a scramble. I thought he threw the ball well, but rarely did the ball go further than 10 yards down field, averaging just 6.3 yards per completion. I'm not sure if that's because Fitzpatrick can't throw deep or Gailey's offense isn't built to. Maybe both? Brad Smith had one wildcat run for no yards and seemed to kill the drive. Grade: C-
Running backs: Spiller carried six times for 39 yards (6.5 average) and caught five passes for 63 yards (12.6 average). Those are phenomenal numbers, so why didn't he get the ball at least 20 times? Arian Foster carried the ball 24 times yesterday. Jackson had a rough day, running six times for 21 yards and catching five passes for  14 yards. Spiller looked good on draws and screens. Grade: B
Wide receivers: Stevie Johnson (three receptions, 29 yards) looked good early, but a thigh injury limited him for much of the game. He dropped a key pass on third down in the third quarter. Donald Jones (six receptions, 65 yards) played well despite facing Johnathan Joseph, who is one of the league's best corners. Graham caught two passes for four yards. I don't know why Graham didn't get targeted deep instead of Johnson. That's what he's supposed to be good at. Ruvell Martin dropped a pass. Grade: C-
Tight ends: Scott Chandler caught three passes for 51 yards, but also dropped two passes. Dorin Dickerson caught a pass for a first down. Grade: C
Offensive line: The team got Kraig Urbik and Cordy Glenn back, but lost Erik Pears at right tackle. I thought Chris Hairston did a nice job at the spot. He faced J.J. Watt and didn't allow a sack. Watt did hit Fitzpatrick five times and his sack came against Urbik. The pass protection wasn't great and Cordy Glenn was part of the problem. Buffalo allowed three sacks and 10 quarterback hits. I bet the line wanted to run the ball a lot more.  Andy Levitre had a false start in the red zone. Grade: C-
Defensive line: Mario Williams' return to Houston was one of his better games of the season. He led the team with seven tackles, including two for a loss and used a nice inside move for a sack. I thought Kyle Williams got good penetration and Marcell Dareus was OK against the run. Chris Kelsay did not play well and got pushed around on running plays. Kyle Moore picked up a sack and a tackle for a loss. Shawne Merriman did nothing. Grade: C+
Linebackers: Nigel Bradham led the group with seven tackles, including one for a loss. He did lose track of Owen Daniels on a long play-action pass that went for a touchdown. I felt Arian Foster seemed to run the ball more effectively to the sidelines because linebackers weren't able to get over there. Foster finished with 24 carries for 111 yards (4.6 average) and one touchdown. Grade: D
Secondary: Aaron Williams was picked on by Andre Johnson before going down with a knee injury. On a long pass, Williams got burned at the line of scrimmage and couldn't locate the ball even though he was right there. Stephon Gilmore didn't do too much better against the Texans' top receiver, who ended up with over 100 yards. Gilmore did breakup one pass and have good coverage on a deep ball. Justin Rogers had a pass breakup. Grade: C-
Special teams: Rian Lindell shanked a 37-yard field goal early, but made three others from 22, 38 and 39 yards. Alex Carrington blocked another field goal. Shawn Powell averaged 49.4 yards per punt and dropped two inside the 20. The coverage unit did give up a 26-yard punt return to Keshawn Martin. Leodis McKelvin had a 20-yard punt return. Grade: B-
Coaching: I mentioned my issues with the number of touches for Spiller already. I thought the red zone play calling was bad, coming away with no touchdowns. Buffalo never even took a shot at the end zone. Gailey doesn't seem to be able to make adjustments during a game. His offense looked great last year, but it doesn't seem too innovative anymore. The defense blitzed more, which was nice. Grade: D
What are your grades for the Buffalo Bills? Post a comment or let me know on Twitter @MPN_DanGoldman

Recent Posts