The air has gotten cooler and the leaves have changed. Pumpkins are everywhere and it’s likely that you or your children have begun to think about a Halloween costume. This is a fun time of year for all, but with the fun comes potential dangers to our pets. Here are some tips to keeping our four-legged friends safe this Halloween.
While beautiful, decorations can be hazardous to our pets. Place candles safely out of reach from curious kitties or pups who could get burned. The same goes for lights, which can be hazardous if your pet chews on them. Additionally, avoid decorations with parts that could be chewed and ingested.
Candy is one of the best parts of Halloween, and most people know chocolate can be harmful to pets. Another problem treat is Xylitol, an artificial sweetener often used in sugar-free candy and gum. It can cause serious problems in our pets, including vomiting, coma and death. If you suspect your pet has ingested Xylitol in any amount, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Costumes are a big part of Halloween for humans, and many people dress their pets up. They are just so cute! However, if you have a particularly nervous pet, it is best to avoid dressing them up. For pets that are easy going, it is important to avoid costumes with pieces that could be chewed off or ingested, or costumes that prevent your pet from breathing, barking/meowing or moving freely. Plus, pets should never be left unsupervised in their costume!
Finally, on the big day, be mindful of your pet’s personality. If he or she is easily bothered by strangers at the door or even just by people walking past the house, it might be a good idea to put him in a quiet room away from the ruckus of trick or treating.
Wishing you and your family a happy and safe Halloween!