The Board of Trustees of the Museums of Historic Palmyra is pleased to announce an important addition to their historic collections, a series of 70 volumes published by The Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
The Board of Trustees of the Museums of Historic Palmyra is pleased to announce an important addition to their historic collections, a series of 70 volumes published by The Daughters of Utah Pioneers. This collection tells the stories of the Utah Pioneers, early members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Many of these pioneer families originated in Palmyra where that church was first started in 1830 by Joseph Smith Jr.
The DUP defines a Pioneer as a direct-line ancestor who came to the geographic area covered by the State of Deseret/Utah Territory; died crossing the plains; or was born in the Utah Territory before May 10, 1869, when the railroad first came to Utah. The DUP collects and preserves the history of these special ancestors, and currently has over 100,000 pioneer histories on file.
Kate B. Carter was the long-serving President of the DUP from 1941 until 1976. She was the publisher of the first set of these Pioneer histories, a 12-volume series entitled “Heart Throbs of the West”; this first series was published in the 1940’s. Other series followed in later years. Leona G. Holbrook was a friend of Kate B. Carter and a Board Member of the DUP. Leona G. Holbrook started this historical collection as a gift for her daughter, Arva Holbrook Whitby, who continued to collect all subsequent DUP volumes as they were published, now some 70 in total.
Arva Whitby, her five children and many grandchildren are pleased to see this collection donated to the Museums of Historic Palmyra. These published accounts made possible by the voluntary work of the DUP communicate a deep sense of Utah history and of the legacy of the Pioneer heritage. The donors take delight in knowing this complete set of volumes will be protected and used by researchers, historians, and laymen who value access to these authentic accounts of the Pioneers and their lives.
This generous donation from Arva Holbrook Whitby is on display in the Palmyra Historical Museum at 132 Market St., one of the five amazing museums in Palmyra’s Village along the Erie Canal. All are invited to visit the collection of treasured books. The hours of the museums are Tuesday thought Saturday 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. through Oct. 31. Please call 597-6981 for information and questions.