Police say the career criminal who pointed a gun at an offficer may or may not still be in the Geneseo area

GENESEO — The owner of Euro Café in the Livingston County village of Geneseo made sure to secure doors and windows not typically used, staying vigilant as the manhunt for a suspect deemed armed and dangerous continues.

"I hope he will be caught soon so we can relax 100 percent," said Euro owner Krystyna Skrzypek.

A similar sentiment was echoed throughout the village.

"If he wasn't armed that'd be a whole different story, but he does have a gun so that adds another layer of danger to the situation," said Geneseo resident Sylva Palmer.

"I noticed less people on the streets, but I don't know if it's my imagination or if it's because of what happened yesterday," Skrzypek said.

Deputies say 49-year-old David Clyde Morgan from Wilmington, North Carolina pointed a gun at an officer during a traffic stop on Route 63 in Geneseo on Wednesday. Preliminary reports revealed that the officer fired his gun.

Morgan then ran into a cornfield and he hasn't been seen since. Around 100 officers were on the scene Wednesday night, along with air support and K-9s, and nearby homes were evacuated.

The shelter-in-place advisory in Geneseo had been lifted as of Thursday afternoon since the suspect is not thought to be in the immediate area.

However, all college-related activities at SUNY Geneseo remained canceled throughout the rest of the day Thursday, though they were to resume at 8 a.m. Friday. The Geneseo school district canceled Thursday classes and activities, as well.

In addition to that, buildings which are typically accessible to the public have been under lock and key.

University police do not believe the campus was a direct threat but they wanted to take extra precautions by adding extra officers from other SUNY schools just in case the search efforts shifted.

"Being visible, patrolling lots, in buildings where people are sheltering-in-place, letting them know they're here for anything they need them for," stated Inspector Scott Ewanow, university police.

Those walking on campus are making sure to secure their property.

The female passenger involved in the case was arraigned Thursday evening. Sandra Brown, 40, of Southport, North Carolina, faces charges of menacing an officer, criminal possession of stolen property, obstruction of government administration, menacing and conspiracy.

She is being held on $50,000 cash or $100,000 bond. She entered a not guilty plea.

Livingston County Sheriff Thomas Dougherty says Morgan is a career criminal. Morgan spent approximately 211 months in federal prison and was released in March of 2017 for conspiracy to posses with intent to distribute controlled substance. Prior to those charges Morgan was arrested for robbery in Texas in 1994 where he was sentenced to two years in prison.

The sheriff says Morgan took off because he thought there was a warrant out for his arrest.

"His history is violent," Dougherty said. "He served prison time. He has had weapons charges. So again, I just want to stress that if someone comes in contact with him do not approach him. Call 911. We have plenty of resources to respond."

Dougherty says residents in the area should keep their eyes open and doors locked, but also know that they are safe with the amount of law enforcement in the area.

"I wouldn't not live life," Sheriff Dougherty says. "If you have things [to do], I would go do it."

People are being asked to avoid the search area. Route 63 between Dewey Hill (Route 20A/63 split) and Jones Bridge Road was closed due to the investigation. The sheriff's office reopened Route 63 to traffic but is keeping roving patrols in the area.

Morgan is 5-foot-7 and 200 pounds and was last seen wearing a grey hoodie, grey baseball cap, and blue jeans. Morgan is now clean-shaven.

If you have any information on Morgan's whereabouts, you are asked to call 911.