A mobile home and its contents, plus an attached shed, were destroyed Friday after a hot water heater caught fire, according to the Ontario County Emergency Management Office.
The fire at 59 Canadice Lane in Friendly Village Mobile Home Park, Manchester, started when the owner/occupant was working on the hot water heater, which caught fire, burning his head and singing his face. He and his pet dog safely escaped the home, and he reported the fire.
The Manchester Fire Department was dispatched at about 1:18 p.m. and were assisted on scene by firefighters from Shortsville, Clifton Springs and Farmington departments, plus Finger Lakes Ambulance. The fire was placed under control at 2:02 p.m. by the Manchester Fire Department Incident Command.
The property owner was transported by ambulance to the hospital for his burns, and one firefighter was transported for a laceration to the head.
The 12-by-60-foot mobile home structure and its contents were insured, according to the Emergency Management Office.
The fire remains under investigation by the Manchester Fire Department and the Ontario County Fire Coordinator. Preliminary investigation results indicate the fire originated in the area of the hot water heater and was related to careless action by the owner.