In April, it will be 10 years since 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel of Chili disappeared while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

A jailhouse informant claims he witnessed Drexel's murder. Taquan Brown is in the McCormick Correctional Institution in South Carolina, serving 25 years for an unrelated manslaughter conviction. But before he was locked up, he says he saw Drexel on four different occasions over the course of a month in 2009.

Over the course of five recent phone calls, Brown provided News 10NBC what he claims is his first-hand account. Brown says he first saw Brittanee Drexel at an abandoned house in McClellanville, South Carolina in April 2009 — two days after Drexel had disappeared — in a "stash house." He said, "There were about eight to 12 guys in there" and that Drexel had a black eye and was being sexually assaulted.

He says he returned to the house a few days after the first visit. "We was in the front yard and the girl ran out the back door and four other guys ran behind her and they hit her and brought her back inside," Brown recounted. Brown says he then heard gunshots and assumed Drexel had been killed. "As I get in my car, I see two gentlemen come out the house with a rug and they put it in back of his truck. And I left," he said. 

But Brown says, five days later, he went to visit his cousin Herman at his house in rural Jacksonboro, South Carolina to show him a car he had just bought. She was there, alive, at Herman's house.

Taquan Brown's name first surfaced in 2016 during a detention hearing in federal court involving a man named Timothy De'Shaun Taylor.

An FBI agent testified that they had received information from Brown who said Taylor had direct involvement in Drexel's kidnapping.

News 10NBC spoke with Taylor in 2016. He denied ever meeting Brittanee Drexel. He also claimed he had never seen Taquan Brown before. But court records show Taylor failed a polygraph about the Drexel case.

As for the murder, Brown says he and a friend witnessed it while walking to his cousin Herman's house in late May 2009. Brown says he saw a group of men with Drexel -- including a man he only identified as "Nate."

"There's a wooded area on the property line. So we were walking through the path and the shooting took place," Brown said. "Nate shot her with a double-barrel shotgun two times."

Brown says they turned around and left, so as not to be implicated.

Much of Brown's account is consistent with, and even more detailed than, what the FBI has stated publicly. However, there are major parts of what Brown told News 10NBC that it has been unable to corroborate.

For instance, News 10NBC was unable to track down the man Brown was walking with when he says he witnessed the shooting. His cousin Herman has since died of a heart attack. A third person Brown identified as an eyewitness was murdered in 2016.

Still, he says there are many who witnessed Drexel's captivity.

De'Shaun Taylor has not been charged in connection with Drexel's disappearance. His new attorney had no comment about Brown's statements.

An FBI spokesperson would not say whether they consider Brown a credible witness. However, he did confirm that agents met with Brown in prison just last month.

Brown says he was not promised any deals in exchange for his cooperation. He says he came forward after he and his mother received death threats. He says he agreed to speak with authorities in return for his mother's protection as well as his own.

But Brown says he's also frustrated that nothing came from his cooperation, and last week, he filed a lawsuit against several investigators, claiming they put him in danger by releasing his name to the public.