The former Roosevelt Grammar School building will make way for a Byrne Dairy store
NEWARK — Work to tear down the former Roosevelt Grammar School building began earlier this week.
The long-empty building, also known as East Newark School, at the corner of Vienna and East Union streets, will be replaced by a Byrne Dairy convenience store and gas station.
Named for President Theodore Roosevelt in 1920, the school was built in 1912. The school was closed in 1976.
Crews are on the lookout for a cornerstone, laid June 20, 1911, which is believed to contain a box with papers, newspapers and a new Lincoln penny.